Sunday, March 29, 2009

Dream Food Induces Lucidity

I'm generally optimistic, but nothing beats my sister and her essay contests. Every month or so, she'll participate in some national writing contest and she'll spend a solid ten minutes writing an essay. I figure she just doesn't really care, but then three weeks later, when the results are due, she takes an extra three shifts at the mailbox, waiting for a letter of congratulations.

I finally had a lucid dream today! It lasted all of 2 seconds, but it was unmistakable. The interesting part was how I got to lucidity. In order to become lucid, you have to realize that you're dreaming while in the dream. If you do reality checks all day every day, then you usually become lucid through that - performing one inside a dream. In my case, it was predictably much more roundabout.

In my dream, I'm at this big family gathering in our backyard. There's tons of food and even more relatives, which should already tip me off since we rarely even invite ourselves over for dinner. So there's all this food, but for some reason I don't pounce on it. Instead, I go out to the car and drive away somewhere. I forget where I drove and I don't think I even really knew in the dream, but I drove for a while, making illegal U-turns and getting nowhere.

Suddenly I get suspicious. Why the hell am I driving around aimlessly when there's so much food to be eaten at home? "I must be dreaming," I think. "How do I check?...Aha!" I whip out my cell phone and call home. Mom picks up.

Mark: Mom, where am I right now?
Mom: you're sitting at the table eating.
Mark (hangs up): I'm dreaming!

The instant I become sure of it, it's like fifteen layers of fog suddenly lift and the world is suddenly real and colorful. It's amazing how I didn't notice its dreariness before. But no matter, I'm lucid dreaming now! I'm about to take off (flying) and then...I wake up.

Another one bites the dust.

No comments: