Saturday, August 3, 2013

Gimme Books

I like being in the middle of several books at once, it feels like there's a lot more going on in life. I don't read or watch the news, and when my grandma tries to tell me about all the horrible stuff that goes on in the world because "you can live under a rock," I usually la-la-la her out or try to divert her attention onto a more worthwhile subject, like how soon we'll have a real space program and stop letting Einstein bully our spaceships around, which usually works and gets her yelling at me to stop filling her head with nonsense. In Lamb, which it feels like we've been reading in realtime as related to the events in the book, Biff and Jesus are still in India, on a little side-quest rescuing the daughter of an Untouchable from being sacrificed to some psycho-goddess. In The Mote in God's Eye, contact has been made with an alien race and a specimen has been brought on board and is being studied intensively. Or is she studying them? I may never find out, the book is a bit too old-school sci-fi, there's an 80% chance that I will abandon it unfinished.

Then there's Trash, Sex, Magic, which I only just started, so I don't really know what's going yet, except that some tree is being hacked down and some women living in the area keep referring to the tree in anthropomorphic terms. I guess the Trash has been introduced, but there's yet to be any Sex and there are only the vaguest premonitions of Magic. Will keep reading, eventually. Then there's the first book of The Dresden Files, about some magician living in the modern world, who it looks like will get involved in a cross-world jurisdiction murder case. I may drop this one too. Then there's the first book of a fantasy series called Riyria, which is goofy, but not funny enough I think to warrant further reading.

I changed my mind, I don't like being in the middle of several books at once. It's a symptom that none of them are good enough to monopolize my attention. Lamb is obviously amazing, but I've already read it several times, and Yuan Yuan has been busy lately so much of the enjoyment has evaporated as we've lost almost all continuity. But the others are on the whole disappointing. Somebody recommend me some awesome books please.

No comments: