Friday, July 18, 2008

Boston

Took the Greyhound into Boston yesterday. I took the window seat though I usually much prefer the aisle, and paid dearly for not sticking to my preferences. A fat lady composed of equal parts cosmetics and irrationality sat down next to me, and scolded me during the next 4 1/2 hours about me encroaching on her personal space. I was not permitted to so much as hang a momentary elbow over her territory. She would close her eyes now and then for long stretches of time, and I would relax and not realize the first eleven times that it was a cunning trap that ended in harsh words and stern looks expressing strong doubts as to whether I was raised in civilization or in a jungle on planet Traflamadore.

The reception in Boston was regal in Oriental style #1: authentic Chinese food, Americanized Chinese women, and a big apartment to experience everything. Foolishly imagining this reception would stretch past the door to the apartment, I made the mistake of walking over to one of the local MIT zoos to experience some other people from my good old college days. Instead of chocolate and extensive praise, I received the slightly less entertaining sight of people weighing themselves on the Wii Fit for an hour and a half and having the gall to pretend they were actually having fun.

Today we (myself and fans) are going to dine at India Quality (Good Taste Chinese anyone?), and then see The Dark Knight. I'm expecting a great Joker. Heath Ledger may be dead, but that doesn't mean I'm cutting him an inch of slack. It just means he won't be able to defend himself when I give him a scathing review.

No comments: