Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Blogging to procrastinate

I'm being a complete slacker with respect to my sketching. Each day I'm brimming with optimism from the moment I get up to the moment I go to bed, thinking about how I can't wait to sketch, and saying positive affirmations to get myself in the mood, and not thinking about how I currently suck and that it takes at least 5 hours of practice to achieve mastery of a skill and that I still have 3-5 hours to go. So there's no shortage of positivity. The only thing there's a shortage of is actual sketching. I haven't touched a pencil in ~5 days.

Enjoying being terrible at something is a skill I would love to have. But even the great Mario, who can will himself to enjoy red bean paste snacks, is very hit or miss in this respect. He'll be fine with sucking at one thing, as long as he's already addicted to it and doesn't have to do it in front of other people, but then inexplicably refuse to even take a second strike on another.

Over the years I've created this self-image that I can learn to be awesome at anything in 5 minutes, or on the first try, whichever is faster. This self-image, while completely inaccurate, sometimes performs a magic placebo effect and everything clicks. But this self-image has its limits. Sketching, dancing, at one point singing, and a couple of other things seem to be in its Achilles heel, or off its grid, or in its blind spot. I don't know how it works, it's a very hand wavy science.

So the lesson is that I'm good at rationalizations and I'm using it against my sketching. Go. Sketch. Now!

2 comments:

YJ said...

You should upload a sketch (scan? take a pic?) for your blog each day. Check out Demetri Martin's books for inspiration.

Mark Vayngrib said...

I really should, but guess what I didn't do after that war cry? Go to war. Or sketch.