Sunday, November 23, 2008

Oh those naughty Chinese

Had a weird dream today during a power nap. There was some insect buzzing around, and Mario picked me up with one hand by one of my ankles while he swatted at the insect with the other hand. I found myself being shaken as a side-effect of his efforts, and suddenly there were all kinds of things sticking out of the wall, making what was already dangerous even more so. I remember a drawer and a doorknob being the main objects of my anxiety. I yelled down to Mario to put me down, but he couldn't hear me. It was frustrating but hardly surprising; he listens to music so loudly, that if we both have headphones on, I can hear his music better than mine. Anyway, I managed to work up enough apprehension at being shattered against the drawer and doorknob to wake myself up. Thank goodness, because another couple of seconds, and I would never have had to wake up again.

Read a funny Chinese joke today. In Chinese. It was really short though, so you're not required to leave extensive praise. Goes something like this:

Yi1ge4 bing4ren2 zai4 ta1de bing4chuang2 shui2de hen3 xiang1. Hu4shi2 ba3 bing4ren2 yao2 xing3 shuo1 "kuai4 xing3 xing3, ni3 hai2 mei2 you3 chi1 an1mian2yao4 ne!"

Compare that with the English version: A patient is lying in his sickbed, sleeping soundly. A nurse comes up to him and starts shaking him, saying: "Wake up, wake up! You haven't taken your sleeping pill yet!"

Later today, my Chinese Palabea friend and I exchanged dirty jokes, and I came to the shocking realization that Chinese people have made very big advances in the area of perverse humor. I thought Russians were experts, and Americans were getting there(though with more a benign style), but Chinese people are waaaay ahead of both. No subject is sacred to them. Anyway, initiation is tough, but don't worry guys, I'll pull through.

Talked to grandma on Skype today. She's computer illiterate, so to her, talking through webcam is like using a magic mirror. Now that she's using computers though, I better be careful what I say about her here. So...yea...

No comments: