Thursday, January 15, 2009

Writing Jokes, Another Path I'm Not In Danger Of Pursuing

Morning meditation:

Today I tried a different meditation. I read some of Adyashanti's book and he suggests a different technique from what I've been trying. He of course calls it True Meditation in order to put a nice rosy blush of inferiority on the cheeks of other practitioners.

The idea is simple: you relinquish control to the highest degree possible. Meditation is traditionally about quieting the mind, getting a grip on yourself, meditating for longer than the person next you to show them how incredibly elite you are, etc. Adyashanti suggests to go in the opposite direction: don't control your mind at all, just let go. At the same time, don't let yourself get sucked in by any thoughts. This tastes a bit like mindfulness/awareness meditation, but even more subtle. So subtle, that having developed a healthy admiration for the idea, I have absolutely no clue how to put it in action. How does one watch the mind without either getting sucked into the one thought or saying "shoo, you bugger!" to another? I mean other than by being Adyashanti. Hmm. Well, I tried it anyway.

An unfortunate aspect of this type of meditation is that I have not a single recollection of the experience. No memory other than that it happened. I might as well have played Heroes of Might and Magic (another experience which leaves no traces in long term memory).

I spent writing hour today trying to write some jokes. Oof. I'm never claiming to have a good sense of humor again. Here's a sample, be merciful:

Mario (the Texas variety) picks up his drinking cup, and looks inside.
"Hmm...old coffee, spoiled milk, crusty oatmeal, three flies, four pieces of gum, twelve cigarette butts...disgusting!"
(pours himself some juice)
"Another month and I'll have to clean it."

Buddha's sitting under the bodhi tree, meditating. A man approaches him. Buddha takes out his laser gun and melts the man into a puddle. "What an impertinent little #$%@," he says blissfully.

Buddha's sitting under the bodhi tree, meditating. A man approaches him and says:
"Buddha, I have a problem, I'm very impatient. I can barely stand a two minute meditation. Will you help me?"
Buddha: "I will help you."
Buddha takes out his laser gun and shoots the man in the head, the man reincarnates as a baobab tree.
Another man comes and says:
"Buddha, I have a problem, I can't get rid of my sexual thoughts. Even that tree arouses me. Will you help me?"
Buddha: "I will help you."
Buddha takes out his laser gun and shoots the man in the head, the man reincarnates in a eunuch colony.
A third man comes and sits down next to Buddha.
"Buddha, what are these bodies doing here?"
Buddha: "you ask too many questions. I will help you."
Takes out his laser gun and shoots the man in the head.

Hmm...I think those last two might only be funny to me.

Paris Hilton decides to become a nun. At the entrance exam, Mother Superior asks her: "child, you know this means no more fornication?"
Paris: even on weekends??
Mother Superior: don't be ridiculous! What would there be to confess on Sundays!?

The others were unfortunately even worse, or unprintable.

No comments: