Monday, December 27, 2010

The Parents Are Coming!

Looks like an involuntary 30 day trial is coming up on the radar. Yuan Yuan's mom and (Yuan Yuan's) stepdad have indicated that they might be up for a short one-month visit to Beijing.

So far Yuan Yuan's parents have been on a need-to-know basis regarding our relationship...or more like we-need-them-not-to-know. Yuan Yuan fessed up to having a foreign boyfriend a while ago, though only to her mom, and only to a certain degree. As far as her mom knows, we're not living together, not doing anything that involves taking off our goose-feather jackets, hockey masks and strait-pants, and still we're being disapproved of, though mostly passively. As a relationship without a "result" (marriage, settling down in China and full-body deforeignation surgery), it's a waste of time. So says the Chinese village.

Yuan Yuan's stepdad is completely ignorant (of the relationship...though I hear the word applies pretty well in general as well), and Yuan Yuan plans to keep it that way. This means that I'm going to have a lot of one-on-one time with myself next month. Not to worry, I have my 30 day trials to keep me company. Yuan Yuan's worried though, specifically that if her stepdad finds out, she'll be sent back to the village to spend the rest of her life with 56K internet and a severe lack of sexy foreigners. I might have to practice my acting. If I can just channel Bill Murray from What About Bob?, we'll be rid of all her relatives in no time.

Tomorrow, my old bandmate Mr. Fantastechnique Butneverlearnsasongallthewaythrough is coming over. Usually I ignore his messages, phone calls, emails and tear-stained handwritten letters because he always has something "fun" for me to do, but I couldn't resist replying the other day when he commented on one of my song videos I posted on TuDou. Now I'm paying the price.

The knot of the day is the Dropper Loop:


image borrowed from animatedknots.com

It's pretty sexy. And easy. Kind of like some girls I've met here.

No comments: