Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Superyesterday

1 superday down, 29 to go. Yesterday I had to hustle a bit since I only committed to the supertrial in the late afternoon and still had 160 pushups to go at 10:30PM. But it all happened, even the drawing, which was as torturous as I'd expected. It was truly a moment of wisdom when I chose 20 minutes over half an hour. I might still be in a coma if I'd chosen the second.

Yesterday's knot was the figure 8:


image borrowed from animatedknots.com

It's pretty easy to do, unless you're attempting to replicate it from a set of written directions and a single poorly cropped picture, which half the how-to's on the internet seem to think is enough. The people who wrote them must know how to tie their own shoelaces or something. Luckily for those of us whose mommies still fly in red-eye to tie ours in the morning, I found animatedknots.com which shows pictures for all the steps.

The French studying went pretty smoothly. Months ago I downloaded every pirated book on French grammar and vocabulary on this side of the galaxy and yesterday I blazed at 5mph through one of them. The memorization part of my brain is having trouble getting off the couch after its nearly year long respite, but that's what 30 day trials are for, getting your potatoes off the couch and onto the treadmill.

Which leaves...the blog. No big problems there, except that getting on Blogger is a nightmare with the Great Firewall of China. My browser needs some bandaids and a shower.

Yuan Yuan learns English, phrase(s) of the day:
"Oh no! We almost finished that toothbrush." Translation: we're almost out of toothbrushes.

Yuan Yuan's creative spelling of the day:
"Dystrus." If you can guess what the intended word is, you deserve the Nobel Luck Prize.

Answer: "dynasty." When Yuan Yuan defied the odds and pronounced it exactly right, I was more proud of her than shocked at her epic violation of the rules of spelling.

No comments: