Saturday, December 11, 2010

Routine

Today was a bit challenging. I had class from eleven in the morning to eight thirty, including commute. I managed to get one pushup set in before leaving in the morning, but at the cost of breakfast. Not that I normally eat breakfast, but if I did...hypothetical props to me.

When I got back from my last class, I went to the hostel to get my keys from the Key Master, one of Yuan Yuan's more formidable English names. Roxie is her receptionist name, and Big Bear is her name in bed. Not that I think about it, I could be calling her Ursa Major, with fewer repercussions and 差不多的 humor content.

Little did I know that I was walking right into an ambush. The Key Master was only willing to part with the keys if I could fight my way through all the obstacles, namely the five pages of English she wrote that I needed to translate into English. Regular translators have it easy, translating from one language to another with their fake poetic licenses. Us sleeping dictionaries are the real victims of linguistics. I did pushups between the pages to vent any violent urges.

Pushups are almost done now. French: 20 minutes to go. I've noticed that I can often go through a hundred or so flashcards, not know half of them the first time and know 90% by the second run-through, which is very confidence-inspiring. I'm not sure what it is that gives me the edge, my indomitable luck or the six years of French I took. I doubt it's those memory-enhancing drugs I'm taking. Either way, I'm dreading the moment of brain saturation.

Anyway, all that's really left on the menu is drawing, which I've sort of resigned myself to. It doesn't even seem to take forever anymore; it's definitely got nothing on my high-school French class which was in some kind of gravity well where time was on a permanent lunch break.

Knot of the day, sheet bend:


image borrowed from animatedknots.com

The last few knots all kind of look alike. Tomorrow I'm going to try something cooler looking.

No comments: